Working on Always On and configuration/setup of AG we have observed many errors.
especially when configuration listener with following error 19471 or AG could not configure:
Creating availability group listener resulted in an error.
Create failed for Availability Group Listener ‘L********0’. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
The WSFC cluster could not bring the Network Name resource with DNS name ‘U*********0‘ online. The DNS name may have been taken or have a conflict with existing name services, or the WSFC cluster service may not be running or may be inaccessible. Use a different DNS name to resolve name conflicts, or check the WSFC cluster log for more information.
The attempt to create the network name and IP address for the listener failed. The WSFC service may not be running or may be inaccessible in its current state, or the values provided for the network name and IP address may be incorrect. Check the state of the WSFC cluster and validate the network name and IP address with the network administrator. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 19471)
So AG configuration requires WSFC and it contains the Static IP for Listener which will point the local nodes when you ping(to validate it working). But it does not have any DNS name associated with it, we can provide any Listener name only check is that name should not exist on the AD – but to see above error you might feel that name we are providing to Listener might already exist (this error would confuse us) that might be the case.
Following are the troubleshooting links information to resolve the issue:
- Login with “sa” on SSMS and try to configure AG from the beginning again. Try with different node. – this works
- Logon with “sa” from local system /different system other than WSFC nodes. – this will work for some places where Domains forests are multiple and parent child cases.
- Validate the CAP and ensure IP and DNS are tested (repair it)- this will help us for validation
- For SQL Server 2012 it would be an Hotfix issue – Apply the hotfix described in article 2838043.
- On event viewer we find error as: Contact Domain Controller team and ask for granting access to cluster – contact Domain Controller team and ask them for granting access computer to create virtual computer object (VCO) access for object
- This is weird but works some time: I also observed that sometimes when tried to configure the AG on the setup wizard towards the execution the other node port of AG configuration gets restarted automatically and AG configuration gets failed. With similar kind of error
- A Worked around I used is to logon SSMS from remotely and configure the AG before node comes up online after reboot. It works for me – please try this on your own risk I have not sure the reason for such(please provide your input for such cases).
- Validate any policy exception (violation due to AG).
- Sometime you get Quorum related errors – Validated the WSFC report and everything should be clean.
- Finally rebuild the WSFC – if above steps no luck.
I will try to keep this updated for other findings.